Sunday, March 04, 2012

Dylan Dog meets Curio & Co.

Dylan Dog - drawing by Cesare Asaro - detail

Dylan Dog - drawing by Cesare Asaro - detail

Now that Time for Frank and His Friend is behind us, the books should be on our doorstep in 2 days. I can start focusing on the next project. Hence me posting about Dylan Dog.

This is drawing test that I did over the summer. No, I will not be drawing Dylan Dog nor will I be working for Sergio Bonelli Editore, at least not for now (no one ever knows what happens in life). But Curio & Co. will be developing a new property in that style of comic book. Meaning the characters and story will be ours, but the format, the spirit and time period will be reminiscent of Dylan Dog, Martin Mystère (Martin Mystery in the US), and since I met Mr.Fabio Civitelli at Lucca Comics and Games last year, one of the great draftsman for Tex (the oldest series of the Bonelli collection), I will have to say Tex as well. I should be fair and say that the entire project is not only going to be solely looking at Bonelli but also at other Italian comics like Diabolik.

The character and premise of the comic has been in and out of our idea drawers since we started Curio & Co., but the time wasn't right for it. This project kept on nudging me; I'd find myself doing research, logo design and character design on weekends, buying books about guns of all things - and I don't like guns - and, on Saturday brunch we'd be having hours' long discussions about how and what the character should do.

Now the time has come to let the cat out of the bag it has been meowing long enough.

PS: In 1968 Diabolik was turned into a movie Danger: Diabolik. In a weird way it's fascinating. This is a much better poster then the one that IMDB is using.