Thursday, March 27, 2014

Double Scoop cereal box - making the fictional real at Curio & Co.

Double Scoop by Sunnington Morn official sponsor of Spaceman Jax (a creation of Curio & Co. Curio and Co. www.curioandco.com) design and illustration by Cesare Asaro, cereal box, retro, aged, vintage

The best part of doing my work for Curio & Co. is when things come together, specially when I too get fooled by it.  Every-time I work I constantly ask myself "Do I buy that?", not in financial sense but visually and conceptually; even though in this case if there really were Double Scoop ice-cream cereal in the store I just might have to give it a try.

I'm happy that I was able to pull together the elements for the cereal box: the Sunnington Morn logo, the Double Scoop logo, the illustration of the kid, and the digitally painted (from scratch) ice-cream and the cereal.  I get to laughing when at the end I give things a last pass with aging, then things really fall into place.  The aging pass is multiple layers of painted creases, textures, and stains.  Rather then taking existing ready made element I tend to paint these details individually so that I have more control on the design.  It took some years to get the handle on what works best, but I got the process working for me, and as I keep on learning more about printing process and studying original prints with every project I'm able to add a little more to the image.

Below is the box without vintage aging layers.

Double Scoop by Sunnington Morn official sponsor of Spaceman Jax (a creation of Curio & Co. Curio and Co. www.curioandco.com) design and illustration by Cesare Asaro, cereal box, retro, aged, vintage

Now, onto the Double Scoop ad for the Spaceman Jax comic.